Thursday, September 25, 2014

V/A - Na Eller Aldri - Samle EP


Label: X-Port Plater; Year: 1985: Format: Vinyl 7"

I have spent most of my life in central Europe, and ever since having gotten into hardcore punk, I was always fascinated with bands from Scandinavia. But it was always groups from either Sweden, or Finland (officially not Scandinavia) that were more accessible, at least so I remember. Bands from Norway were lesser known, and there just wasn't so many around. I saw So Much Hate when they toured Europe for the first time, and that was well impressive. But before So Much Hate, there was Kafka Prosess, who are of course to be found on this classic compilation EP of Norwegian hardcore punk acts from the mid '80s. Other bands represented on here include Siste Dagers Helvete, Bannlyst, Akutt Innlegelse and three more. Speaking of Akutt Innlegelse, whom had a young fellow named Thomas Seltzer in their rows, the same Thomas who would some years later on to form Turbonegro. In my opinion only one song should not have been picked for this EP, all the other ones range from absolutely brilliant to almost brilliant, you get the picture. If you like your hardcore punk fast, loud and distorted, then this is for you. I remember reading somewhere that the reason so many of the Norwegian hardcore acts from the '80s had a more rock'n'roll guitar sound to them than say the Swedes or Fins, was down to the fact that many of the people involved in those bands had very varied tastes in music. I for one always thought that the Norwegian bands did sound quite different from their neighbors, and it certainly did them well. Shocking to see that to this day this EP has not been reissued. I wonder why, bearing in mind this is an absolute classic.

No comments: