Sunday, August 24, 2014

Seb Hunter: Hell Bent For Leather - Confessions of a Heavy Metal Addict


Publisher: Fourth Estate/Harper Collins; Year: 2004; Format: Book

While I am most certainly not a big fan of heavy metal per se, I am certainly always open to a good read and a few years back I remember reading a review in regard to this novel which must have caught my attention. In the end I found the book on sale at Foyles in London, and that's how it ended up in my collection. It took literally years for me to open it and read it, but just like the author himself, I must make a confession on my own in saying that I had a hard time putting it down at nights. Let it be very clear, you don't have to be into heavy metal to appreciate Seb Hunter's life story and his addiction to said music genre. Yes, there are parts in the book which drag on where for instance the author goes on to define genres such as glam metal, thrash metal and the likes, but overall the novel is about Seb and his witty stories on growing up in Winchester in the south of England, joining his first band, gigging locally, local punks throwing beer cans at them and his eventual move to the big smoke aka London. In my opinion London also marks the best parts of this book as there are so many hilarious stories being told by Seb, including living in squats, the pursuit of a career in heavy metal music at all cost, groupies, and crazy band members that would kill you over a girl. All in all I can only say that I've really enjoyed reading this book and couldn't help laughing out loud on many occasions.

No comments: