Saturday, June 17, 2023

Gestapo Khazi - S/T Mini-LP


Label: Dead Beat Records; Year: 2009; Format: 12" 45RPM EP

First and foremost this is somewhat of an abnormality when it comes to my blog entries as this record was recorded and released in 2009, which for this blog seems like yesterday. It's funny how records sometimes find their way into your house as up until I had bought this 12" about a year ago I have never heard of Gestapo Khazi from Long Beach, CA unlike the label this was released on - Dead Beat Records - a true household name when it comes to solid releases by bands from around the world. As a matter of fact I used to trade with Tom from Dead Beat quite a bit during my active label/distro years so in that sense sometimes things come full circle. I found this scorcher of a record at my local record store up the road and since finding punk records there doesn't happen very often I took this one home with me, even though I don't really buy anything beyond the '90s. Still, this was well worth the few bucks as it sure as hell really is a terrific record. I presume the guys in the band were inspired by the old UK band The Blood when it comes to the band name and they without a doubt were inspired by the underground sounds of the '80s when it comes to the songs on this Mini-LP which really should have been a full length, that's just how good this is. Take the melancholy of the Wipers, throw in a heavy Jeffrey Lee Pierce vibe, and mix that in a blender with the post-punk sound of Gang Of Four and more traditional early '80s Southern California punk and voila you get Gestapo Khazi. The funny thing is that this trend seems to repeat itself throughout the years and while I haven't followed new bands actively in years, I am well aware that bands of that ilk are quite the hype in the underground scenes of 2023, hence I suggest that you kiddos seek out this record while it's still available for next to nothing as any of the songs could appear on Killed By Death # 166 to be released in the year 2030.   

No comments: