Thursday, August 10, 2023

Exodus - Bonded by Blood LP


Label: Century Media/Combat; Year: 2022; Format: Gatefold Vinyl LP

Every music genre has defining records on offer and when it comes to Thrash Metal then "Bonded by Blood" by Bay Area Thrashers Exodus is one of them, and in my opinion probably the album that defines Thrash Metal at its best. If someone out there without any idea about Thrash Metal asked me to describe the genre I would simply suggest to put this record on as it is without exaggeration a masterpiece from the second the needle drops. It is almost needless to say that at one point I did own an early pressing of this album but as it goes I got rid off it in my haze believing that I would never feel the need to listen to Metal ever again. How wrong I was all those decades ago as quite a few of those albums that I sold or traded for next to nothing are collector items and hard to get these days. Well, let me not bother you for too long with my so called dilemmas as thankfully there are reissues and so I am again an owner of this album and this time it will stay with me until I drop dead I suppose. The other night I watched "Murder in the Front Row" again, a powerful and insightful documentary about the early days of Bay Area Thrash Metal. Exodus played a huge role in the development of a scene that started out around a record store where Metal Heads would meet to buy and exchange the latest imports from around the world. The New Wave of British Heavy Metal with bands like Motorhead, Iron Maiden, UFO or Saxon were the primary influence for a lot of the kids in the Bay Area and it wasn't long before bands like Venom or Discharge started to make the rounds in tape trading circles signaling a change in Metal towards a faster, more direct and more brutal sound influenced by NWOBHM and Hardcore Punk alike. I nearly laughed my head off when Gary Holt and co. were describing the scenes at Ruthie's Inn where Exodus and especially their singer Paul Baloff (RIP) would encourage to rip people's Hair Metal shirts off their bodies as to signal that only real Metal was accepted and posers were not welcomed. It brought back memories of my own youth and my buddies in Suburban Zurich, Switzerland. We acted so tough and evil without being evil and made fun of posers ourself, but to be fair we didn't advocate for any harsher actions. Speaking of Ruthie's Inn I recall reading about the club some time ago and thought it was fascinating to learn that the former owner Wesley Robinson (RIP) was an original jazzer who just happened to have an extremely open mind, a big heart and definitely a lot of patience by having opened the doors to a scene that was young, loud and obnoxious but generally speaking good natured. Back in the Mid-80s when I started to get into more extreme music "Bonded by Blood" had far more appeal to me than say the Sex Pistols or the Clash. My friends and I were looking for bands that could shock, would piss off our parents and stood apart from everything else. Exodus was one of those bands and it speaks volumes if an album can still live up to the hype nearly forty years after its original release. When I sat down to listen to the album tonight I felt pretty much the same excitement as all those years back and the nine songs were over with in no time. My favorite tracks have always been 'Bonded by Blood', 'Metal Command' and 'Piranha' but there really are no fillers on this album and in 2023 I can probably proclaim that I love this album even more than I ever had. Play loud and go wild!

2 comments:

WDM said...

I had the album (Music For Nations 1985) and regret selling it. Fuck!

Josef said...

Another punk rocker selling off his good Metal albums ;-) Get the gatefold reissue I have bought, it's worth it for the music and the memories.