Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Crazy Cavan 'N' The Rhythm Rockers - Rockability LP


Label: Charly Records; Year: 1976; Format: Vinyl LP

Let me tell you straight off the bat that it sure as hell isn't easy to do many blog entries during the summer months as I am not someone whose energy levels feed off of hot weather, actually quite the opposite. Luckily I don't live in one of those States where it's constantly 110 degrees, otherwise I'd have to hide in a freezer for the remainder of the summer. Anyway let's get down to business, and with that I am talking music and to be more specific Crazy Cavan 'N' The Rhythm Rockers. Since I was a little kid I've always had a bit of an ear for Rockabilly as my father had a little stack of LPs of artists like Buddy Holly, Bill Haley & His Comets and a few others hence I was exposed to the music early on and it stuck with me ever since, at least to a degree. Teddy Boys on the other hand were not exactly the best friends of punks, at least not in Europe where I grew up. As a result of that I had very little to no exposure to local Rockabilly scenes with the exception of a few people that were open minded and frequented the punk scene as well. It must have been 2010 or 2011 though when I did see Crazy Cavan with his band at the 100 Club in London and I remember having a blast. My friend and I kind of stuck out with our rather casual clothes as most people were dressed in their Teddy Boy and Girl uniforms rocking out to the tunes of Crazy Cavan. I discovered Crazy Cavan through a good friend of mine back in Switzerland as he's always been a big fan and is a good few years older than myself having experienced the Rockabilly revival scene first hand. Cavan Crogan (aka Crazy Cavan) got his band together as early as in the late '60s celebrating long forgotten American artists like Charlie Feathers. They played their socks off in little clubs during the early '70s and were eventually discovered by two DJs in London's East End. After having released two 7"s on their own Crazy Rhythm label and the first LP on Rockhouse Records the band eventually signed to Charly Records in February of 1976 and "Rockability" was the first record to have come out on said label and was the beginning of a lengthy collaboration. One thing I would like to bring up as food for thought is the fact that when it comes to the months and years pre-dating the punk rock explosion it is often glam rock or pub rock that are mentioned as the main influence of early UK bands. I don't remember ever hearing or reading much about the rockabilly revival scene and their influence on punk rock, maybe due to both fractions viewing each other with contempt. Musically as well as fashion wise though it should be said that without a doubt rockabilly has definitely had an influence on early punk rock acts, at least in the UK, leading to quite a few punks discovering said roots in the early '80s through bands like the Stray Cats for instance. As for "Rockability" I really love the album and can't think of even one song that could have been scrapped. Whether you like your rockabilly up-tempo in songs like 'Stompin' Shoes' "Nobody Else Like you" or my favorite "Knock Knock" or you prefer the more swooning songs such as "Delores" or "Sweet Little Pretty Thing" you will find plenty of both on this full length. For now I own just this one LP by the band but I definitely keep my eyes out for their first and third LPs so stay tuned for more. Unfortunately Cavan Crogan passed away in 2020 (RIP), aged 70 years old. Should you want to find out more about the band's history please click on below link for an interesting article in Vintage Rock Mag. 

No comments: