Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Wasted Youth - I'll remember you/My friends are dead 7"


Label: Bridge House Records; Year: 1980; Format: Vinyl 7"

Let me start off by telling you that these east London blokes should not be confused with the L.A. band going by the same name. Since this is the only release I have by this band, and can't even remember how it got into my hands, I had to do a bit research in regards to the history of this band, and learned that these guys started out in post-punk 1979. Apparently the band members were previously in bands ranging from power pop to hard rock, but with Wasted Youth settled on creating an interesting mixture of dark, psychedelic sounds predating goth rock and fitting well into what is widely considered as post-punk. I especially like "My friends are dead", a goth/post-punk hit with fantastic song arrangements and good production. When it comes to the label this was released on, one could fill many pages on the history and importance of the Bridge House in the Canning Town area of east London. This place established itself as a pub, rock venue and record label at the same time, and interestingly enough also served as the stepping stone to the careers of bands such as Iron Maiden or Depeche Mode. I might as well get more of Wasted Youth's back catalog at some point as the history and the sound alike are intriguing.

No comments: