Monday, May 30, 2022

UK Subs - The Singles 1978 - 1982 LP

Label: Abstract Sounds Ltd.; Year: 1991; Format: Vinyl LP

It was just a few days ago that Charlie Harper (born David Charles Perez) turned 78 years young. That's unbelievable considering that Charlie has been on the road performing with the Subs since 1977. I thought it was only fitting to spin one of the Subs releases from my record shelf. At first I thought about the "Another Kind of Blues" Album but I'll do that some other time. I instead opted for this compilation of their eight classic 7" EPs put out a bit over thirty years ago. At one point I had all the EPs in my collection as well, but quite frankly I really enjoyed listening to these classic tunes today in one go only having to lift my ass once flipping the sides. The UK Subs are next to Motorhead the band I have seen the most times live on stage. From the many times in Switzerland to the few times in London to the last two times I saw them in Southern California overall I always had a great time. Unlike some die-hard Subs fans I wouldn't go as far as saying that the UK Subs always delivered as Charlie had so many line-up changes throughout the decades that only true archivists of the band can provide you with that info. To me the line-up with Gibbs/Garratt always delivered and never disappointed. The tracks on this LP are taken from the classic EPs the band released from 1978 until 1982 and what you get here are true classics that are performed by the band to this day as these songs just never get boring. What one tends to forget these days is how big the UK Subs actually were around 79/80. Copies of "Tomorrow's Girls", "She's Not There" or "Warhead" sold in the tens of thousands, something well known bands can dream of today. It's hard to pick a favorite here as these 23 songs all excel in one way or another. I even like Keep on Running (Till You Burn) from 1981 where the band definitely toyed with the New Romantic look and sound. I also always loved "She's Not There", a great cover version of the Zombies track from 1965. The rest is history as they say because songs like Warhead, Stranglehold, Kicks, I live in a Car etc. are part of the UK Subs and punk rock history, period and end of. 

Back Cover of the LP: 


Original Poster from the 2000 Gig at the Sedel Club in Lucerne/Switzerland. That night the band played pretty much with the line-up seen on the poster bar the drummer. The picture is from the early '80s originally. This was probably my favorite gig seeing the band as they were on top form and played all the hits as if it were 1980 all over again. 

No comments: