Wednesday, July 20, 2022

The Clean - Boodle Boodle Boodle and Tally Hoe reissues


Label: Merge Records; Year: 2021: Format 12" 45RPM EP

One of the many reasons I don't post often enough on this blog is the fact that I love listening to podcasts. Besides podcasts dedicated to politics or law or other subjects causing more headaches and an upset stomach I sometimes listen to Dynamite Hemorrhage Radio which I can highly recommend as it has introduced me to many a band I was unaware of with New Zealand's The Clean being one of them. I heard a song off of this originally in 1981 released EP on one of the shows and was instantly hooked and intrigued. Luckily Merge Records reissued this rarity last year so nobody needs to fork out some serious dosh on an original on the hugely influential Flying Nun record label. All five songs on this record are killer, and I mean it man! It's hard to describe The Clean's sound as they draw from psychedelic influences to punk and post-punk with a heavy bass driven sound. I wish I had been drawn to these type of bands earlier in life as the older I get the more I appreciate the edginess and artiness of bands like the Clean. The band formed in 1978 in Dunedin, NZ and has influenced countless bands in the indie scene throughout the years. I cannot stress enough how great this record is and that you too should get a copy. Comes with a nice reproduction of the original cartoon of the EP as pictured below. 





Label: Merge Records; Year: 2021; Format: 7" Vinyl Single

Honestly I wasn't even aware of this reissue until I saw it at my local Indie Record Store so I picked it up along the above reviewed 12" EP. Tally Ho is a punky/new wavy upbeat song that kicks serious ass with Platypus being a slower song definitely more in the post-punk vein. This is a classic two song single with two killer tracks hence you can't go wrong. I will have to make some time and dig deeper into the rich catalogue of the Clean to see how the band's sound evolved over the years and whether I will be buying and reviewing more of their records. End of rant. 

No comments: