Thursday, August 4, 2022

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Jukebox Explosion Rockin' Mid-90s Punkers!

Label: In The Red Records; Year: 2007; Format: Vinyl LP

The Special Note on the back of the record states: The music on this album is wild, low-tech rock'n'roll, and although it has been mastered from the best possible original discs and master tapes there will still be slight surface noise noticeable on some tracks. Couldn't agree more. I have heard of the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion for years but never had sought out any of their albums or music. Not too long ago I stumbled across a sealed copy of this album for a few bucks at my local record store and spontaneously decided to get it. Tonight I thought I'd give it a spin for the blog and I must say for the most part I dig this shit, referring to the song that the band was supposed to play live on NBC's Saturday Night Live, which of course never happened as an argument over the use of profanity broke out. This LP basically compiles rare tracks off of the band's early singles with some of them being taken from the In The Red Records Jukebox singles series. I am no expert when it comes to noise rock but I would definitely say that first and foremost The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion can be described as such. On the other hand they certainly drew influences from lots of genres and styles such as blues, garage punk, rockabilly and even hip hop. A lot of the song arrangements are definitely crazed but absolutely interesting and in some ways innovative. I will see if I can find more of their back catalogue for cheap as songs like Ghetto Mom from 2002 are absolute boogie punk scorchers. If you plan on wrecking a party and need the right soundtrack keep this one in mind. 

 

No comments: