Saturday, March 25, 2023

Gauze - 面を洗って出直して来  12" 

Label: XXX Records; Year: 1997; Format: 45RPM 12" Mini-LP

During the Mid-90s I lived for a longer period of time in Toronto, Canada and at the time Japanese Hardcore, and in particular Gauze were quite the hype in the underground hardcore punk community. It must have been in 1996 when the band actually came over to North America and played San Francisco, Minneapolis and maybe Chicago, I am really not sure anymore. What I am 100% sure about is that I was not able to go to any of those shows and was as to be expected quite disappointed, especially after hearing what friends of mine that attended the shows reported back. Fast forward to 1997 and I was about to leave Toronto to move back to Switzerland, where I was living permanently at that time. Before doing so though there was a little bit of an extravaganza to be experienced as through a room mate that worked in the airline industry I was able to obtain a really cheap flight ticket to Osaka, Japan from Vancouver, Canada. So, in July of '97 I boarded a flight from Toronto to Vancouver and for several weeks travelled the US West Coast up and down. After having returned to Vancouver I continued my trip to Osaka and from then took a bus to Tokyo. By the time I arrived in the Japanese megalopolis it was August and it was just brutally hot and humid. Originally I intended to travel the country for a week but due to the literally inhumane hot weather I remained in Tokyo for two weeks and took in anything and everything I could, especially when it comes to seeing bands. I remember very well that I was to leave when my friend Shinji told me that Gauze were to play at the Antiknock Club in Shinjuku. Without hesitating for a second I extended my stay to witness that and never looked back. If someone asks me what's the best Hardcore show I have ever seen then 9 out of 10 times my answer is Gauze at Antiknock. It truly is hard to put the experience into words as it is in many ways indescribable but I will never forget the intensity and sheer furiosity of said gig from the second the band entered the small stage. It was simply wild and really a once in a lifetime experience I shall never forget and cherish for the rest of my life. After the gig and thanks to Shinji's interpreting I was able to chat with Hiko and Momorin of Gauze and must have told them that I was a bit disappointed that they did not have any vinyl copies of their just released fourth album for sale. Hiko told me not to worry and that he would send me a copy to Switzerland after I have scribbled my address on some flyer lying around. One day back in Switzerland after having left Tokyo and spending a little bit of time in Toronto I received a little package from Japan with a copy of the vinyl and a nice note from Hiko (see photo). I remember being floored and over the moon as I was expecting they would send me a CD which would have been just as nice. Throughout the many years of record buying and trading I parted with some records I should never have, but this one is priceless and will never leave my house as it is truly attached to very special memories.


Wait, I nearly forgot I have a job to do here and need to review said Gauze record as well instead of reliving the glorious past. Well, it was just last night when I visited my favorite local underground record shop here in Buffalo to pick up some records and was talking to the ever so nice proprietor about music. With him being a big Gauze fan as well he mentioned that this is his favorite Gauze record. To this day I still don't know the English title for the 1997 released 12" but it really doesn't matter. Every time Gauze are an experience and sitting down today listening to this record I was yet again simply in awe. Only Gauze can create such utter chaos yet at the same time remain in full control of the speed levels to steer their short and brutal sonic attacks from one track to the next. The ten tracks on this Mini-LP feel at times like one track, such intense they are, and each in their own way. After about twenty minutes you will probably feel somewhat relieved it's over as you are gasping for air in the knowledge that you just experienced an extraordinary listening session by a band that will be dearly missed by many. Gauze broke up in Fall of 2022 but their records and memories shall live on. This is my 150th entry for the blog, cheers for reading! 

No comments: