Thursday, September 4, 2014

Wild Dogs - S/T LP




Label: Shrapnel Records; Year: 1983; Format: Vinyl LP

I am by no means a metal fan, but I do remember picking up this record many years ago for a few cents at a thrift store, probably just for the hilarious front cover. A few weeks ago I gave it a spin for the very first time since picking it up, and I must confess that I was surprised myself. If there is metal I will give a chance, then it has to sound like on this record. This is raw, straight-forward, and no-bullshit traditional heavy metal, played at a decent speed and with plenty of balls. The band hailed from Portland/OR and apparently reached international recognition following their second album, which came out after this one here. The band was seen to have a pioneering role for metal music in the Pacific Northwest, and I can see why that would be. Don't be discouraged by the horrendous cover, as this might appeal not just to fans of heavy metal, but people with a general liking of loud rock music.

No comments: