Saturday, April 1, 2023

The Stiffs - "Volume Control", "Goodbye My Love" and "Four Winds" Singles


Label: 1977 Records; Year: 2002; Format: 7" Single

As you will all know Punk wasn't just a London thing as some will want you to believe, but was very much happening anywhere in the UK during the initial explosion in the late '70s. The Stiffs for instance hailed from Blackburn in the North-West and formed in 1976 by two 14-year old school friends as described in my go to UK punk bible "no more heroes" by Alex Ogg (see also Wikipedia entry for the band). In July 1978 the band was ready to record some of their own songs and early versions of "Inside Out" and "Volume Control" were the results of those sessions that took place in Oldham. Personally I don't own the "Inside Out" single hence I can't have any opinion but according to the sources I have used the single was well received after their very first "Brookside Riot Squad" EP had failed to materialize the desired results. The single reviewed herein "Volume Control" was originally released in 1980 on EMI subsidiary Zonophone. Of the three singles I have this one is the clear winner with the A-Side being a really strong and well crafted '77 Punk influenced smasher backed by loud guitars and a great production. The B-Side is almost equally good with the Jam influenced Mod stomper "Nothing To Lose". Definitely a great single!



Label: 1977 Records; Year: 2002; Format: 7" Single

Tokyo based reissue label 1977 Records was also responsible for reissuing the originally in 1981 released single "Goodby My Love" backed by "Magic Roundabout" on the B-Side. The Gary Glitter cover on the A-Side really didn't need to be recorded at all and I am not just referring to Glitter here, but the music itself as well as it's just a cheesy overblown glam rock song. The B-Side on this one is in that sense better but in all fairness the band never got to the strength of songs like 'Volume Control'. As musicians they certainly made progress and were a tight-sounding unit but at least for me it lead to sounding more lame, more poppy and more mainstream oriented lacking drive and conviction. I don't know the band's entire catalogue but for me this would be the cut off as I can't see them ever getting any more interesting unless you are a die-hard Powerpop fan, which I am not. Even a tour supporting the UK Subs did not help elevating their status and in all fairness I am not surprised. Solid but that's about it. 



Label: 1977 Records; Year: 2002; Format: 7" Single

The Stiffs continued to perform and released one last single in 1985 until 1977 Records decided to release new material when the Stiffs flew over to Japan for four dates in 2002. According to Ogg's book and the band's recollection the dates went really well and the crowds loved every second of their performances. I am not surprised that the Stiffs got such a positive reaction in Japan as the fans over there tend to be loyal and just genuine. As for the two songs recorded in 2002 I can't say I have much time for them. Both songs are well played and solid, but lack any recognition or hit potential. As with many Mod/Powerpop bands the songs have a tendency for too many hooks as well as too many breaks while nothing seems to stick. Not a bad release per se but definitely nothing worthwhile. In a way it seems the band has at times tried too hard to achieve success and failed miserably, that's at least the way I see it. 

No comments: