Thursday, September 1, 2022

Baby's Got A Gun - Suicide Girl EP


Label: MBC Record; Year: 1987; Format: 45 RPM 12" Vinyl

Really not sure where I bought this one and when but it was without doubt decades ago. An interesting release it is though as there is little to no info at all to be found about Baby's Got A Gun from Scotland on the intranet. If my memory serves me right there was a little report about them in an old MRR but I am certainly not going to spend hours looking for it now. Should I come across it, I'll upload it here. Baby's Got A Gun existed from 1985 to 1995 and this 12" EP was their first release. Remember how 45 RPM EPs were a thing in those days. Equally interesting is the label that put out this release as MBC Records, or McDonald Brothers Corp, was the label that brought the world six volumes of Punk - A World History, a little side note I found rather interesting. There is no doubt in my mind that this Scottish bunch will not be ingrained in punk rock history but this EP is in fact actually quite good. Side A was recorded in 1987 and the B-Side a year earlier and the four songs are kind of tough to describe but if anything I would describe them as Punk-a-billy as corny as that may sound. By the time the band got together the world has seen punk rock come and go and evolving in different directions which is very much in the foreground on this record. Equally influenced by the Revillos or the Ramones '83-'86 period the four songs blend influences from punk rock to rockabilly and some goth rock into an interesting musical mash that works. I suppose there was a lot of these bands around at the time but they just weren't on my radar very much as I just about gotten into hardcore punk, and by that I mean nothing as melodic as this record. It's one of those records that if you see it somewhere for a couple of bucks grab it as I think it needs a new generation of listeners. I guess the band took their band name from the Only Ones...?


Photo Credit: Baby's Got A Gun Official FB page

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. The band went on to become Heavy Drapes and released the album Crashing Like Stars just after lead singer Gary passed away. Go find it and have a listen it’s on streaming sites πŸ€˜πŸΌπŸ‘

Josef said...

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, and glad you liked the review. I shall check out the Heavy Drapes! Rock on!!