Sunday, September 4, 2022

Offenders - Endless Struggle LP 

Label: Beer City Records; Year; 2022; Format: Vinyl LP

If you love records like myself you will own some which you have bought way back and always had a special place for as you cherish the special memories connected to those particular records. The Offenders "Endless Struggle" LP is one of those records I will always see in a special light as it's one of the very early hardcore punk records I did buy back around 1986 in Zurich, Switzerland. So, in that case you will ask yourself why I am reviewing the 2022 Beer City Records reissue and not the original Rabit Cat release from 1985? Well quite frankly I don't have a good answer for you except that at one point for whatever dumb reason I decided to part with my original copy, and again, I really don't know why but we all have made rather incomprehensible decisions in our lives, right? Anyway, to get back to me buying the Rabid Cat copy in 1986 I remember everything quite vividly. Back in those days at least on one school-free Wednesday afternoon per month friends of mine and I would take the train from our suburban town into Zurich and visit Musicland, a store right in the heart of the old town of Zurich. Martin Ain (RIP) of Celtic Frost used to work there at times and he might very well have been at the cashier when I bought my copy. I also remember that I had bought Bathory's "The Return..." either the very same day or around that time hence I shall review said LP next to reconstruct memories from a long, long time ago. I always loved "Endless Struggle" and used to play my original copy up and down as it's appealed to me from the minute I dropped the needle on it for the first time. Today I wondered how I have even known about the record back in those days as I did not speak English and information when it comes to records like this one was more than scarce in the middle of Europe. I have kept a lot of stuff from way back and have a little binder which I have moved with me across the globe so to speak, and it dawned on me that in 1985 there was a little write up about the "Endless Struggle" LP in one of the German Hard Rock/Heavy Metal mags I used to buy as a teenager (see photo). Bonecrusher Records out of Germany released the record the same year as a license pressing and as crossover was starting to get big Metal magazines would spare a page or so of their issues for some hardcore punk which I am ever grateful for. So, with having read that the band must have caught my attention and I just blindly bought the record and never looked back. In the last week or two I have done some online research about the Offenders and have come across a Texas based podcast called 'The Greatest Thing You've Never Heard' and to my surprise I found two very lengthy episodes focusing on the record. In Episode 1 John and Ben discuss the importance of the record song by song whereas in Episode 2 they were successful in getting the only surviving member, Drummer Pat Doyle, to answer questions about the album and the early Texas hardcore punk scene in general. Both episodes are more than worth listening to and I am posting the links at the end of my rant here. 

Well, it's 2022 and thirty-six years have passed since I have bought my first copy of "Endless Struggle" and luckily Beer City Records have just reissued it this year in all its glory with the original artwork, insert and an extra inlay with liner notes from Pat Doyle. I listened to the record today and felt the same way I always have when listening to it, just amazed and excited. Not every hardcore record from the '80s holds up the way this one has and there are several reasons for that which the podcasts go into much depth about. First and foremost I think it's important to recognize it as a hardcore punk record that isn't like many others. In hindsight it makes sense that guitarist Anthony Johnson (RIP) was the oldest in the band and has grown up listening to Black Sabbath, blues artists and early punk rock. What I am trying to convey here is that too many hardcore records sounded the same and were in many ways generic with many of its band members being extremely young with little to no exposure to music outside of hardcore punk. Back in those days it didn't matter so much to me as the excitement of discovering hardcore punk was way larger than any quality control. Looking back at "Endless Struggle" I can't help to think that the record has not gotten the attention it deserves as the band had peaked with the release of this record and unfortunately also folded shortly after. No other than Spot from SST produced and recorded this master piece and one can hear that. The production is just top notch and gives this record the extra kick up the arse as the songs themselves are nothing short of superb. Again, let me stress to you that it is not a generic hardcore punk record from the '80s as you get different musical influences mixed with the ferocity of fast and aggressive songs. But, not all songs on the record are two minutes long. The title song 'Endless Struggle' for instance is around five minutes long and includes a Hammond B3 organ in the intro to the song. Next to Adolescent's 'Kids of the Black Hole' this is yet another hardcore punk classic that is five minutes long. There is no weak song on this record which is why I will never stop loving it until I die. Over the years the record has been kept in press which tells me that interest has never vanished but if you don't own the original I suggest you get the Beer City pressing as it looks and sounds just like the original. 

Episode 1 of Podcast: https://www.greatestthingpodcast.com/offenders-endless-struggle-part-1/

Episode 2 of Podcast: https://www.greatestthingpodcast.com/offenders-endless-struggle-part-2-interview/

Photo Credit: The Offenders official FB site.

No comments: